Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Bring a Lunch!

I bring my lunch to work nearly every day - I'd say about 95% of the time. (And when I don't there is a lovely older woman who sells homemade Indian food from her food cart right down the street from where I work for only $5!) I usually will bring leftovers of stew, pasta, tofu stir fries... or whatever I've made that week at home; I bring salads and fresh fruit like apples or oranges or sliced grapefruit. And I usually always cook a little extra oatmeal in the morning to have a second breakfast at work.

Needless to say, I bring a lot of food to work with me; this way I stay satisfied and am not tempted by the Indian food cart or any one of the many delicious, but sometimes not nutritious, food options available in exchange for cash near my workplace.

I wanted to share one of the dishes I bring to work regularly. This is adapted from a recipe my college roommate, who was Japanese, taught me to make: tahini soba noodles! This dish is quick and very nutritious!

I mix tahini, water, ground ginger, Bragg's aminos, lots of nutritional yeast and a pinch of sugar into my cooked soba noodles, and I add re-hydrated wakame and shiitake mushrooms - quick greens and fungi. You can also add cooked sliced carrots, as my roomie did.

Served here with hibiscus tea. Yum!

No comments: