Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Allstar of Raw Food - Green Smoothie!

I have been making green smoothies for breakfast every day this week. I guess I'm just not a savory breakfast type of person. I chose to embellish my traditional green smoothie, and wow! was it worth the experimentation!


My usual recipe is one frozen banana, a few large handfuls of spinach, some soy milk, and about one tablespoon chia seeds and one tablespoon flax seeds. This week, I subtracted the soy milk, and added a little water, coconut oil, cinnamon, and three dates. It is amazing! You can really taste the coconut and the cinnamon is a yummy subtle nuance. The dates make it a little sweeter. I think I might have a new regular recipe for green smoothie!


Chia seeds are a remarkable little things. To me, they look like tiny dinosaur eggs.


They are a very good source of fiber and are a complete protein, meaning they have all of the essential amino acids in almost equal amounts. They, like flax seeds, are rich in ALA omega-3 fatty acids.

The coconut oil is rich in lauric acid, a natural anti-fungal, and don't worry about the saturated fats in coconut oil. They are medium-chain fatty acids, so they are absorbed straight into the blood in the intestines and used for energy!

I probably don't need to mention the nutritional benefits of green foods; I'll just paraphrase Michael Pollan by saying, the seed parts of food is where you get your omega-6, the leafy parts is where you get your omega-3.

I know many people say, "Whaa?" when they see green smoothies. I think their color is beautiful, and they are so delicious; not to mention, you can't get much more for your nutritional buck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to thank you for teaching me the secret recipe for your "green smoothies." I have alway believed in you and now I can say I believe in your ideals as well. Tiger