Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Toasty Pizza!

Like any other member of the human species, I sometime get the urge to order pizza. This particular night, we ordered from Papa John's. I got a no-cheese, extra sauce pizza with tomatoes, peppers, onions, and black olives. It was absolutely delicious.

The following night, I wished I had more pizza, but, alas, pizza is pricey. I've made my own whole wheat pizza crusts before. It's not difficult, but it does take time for the dough to rise and whatnot. This day, I decided to buy a whole wheat crust at the store and just add sauce and toppings and maybe even spring for some Daiya cheese. This ended up being a disappointing venture.

The only whole wheat pizza crust I could find - between two stores - had some gross-looking dried up cheese sprinkled on it, and Daiya cheese, while delicious, is $4.99 where I live. So, taking all the disappointment into account, it was time to revamp my plan. I went to the bread aisle. I was going to make mini toasty pizzas!

I bought the whole wheat bread and the pizza sauce. Before I left for the store, I had rehydrated some dried shiitake mushrooms in water.


I sauced the bread, added the chopped mushrooms, some broccoli, tomato and sprinkled them with minced garlic. Then I baked them for about 30 minutes. (Keep in mind things take much longer to bake in my ancient oven.) The end result was pretty good! Crunchy, saucy, pizza-y deliciousness. And it was easy!

No comments: