Sunday, February 5, 2012

"Hummus is to vegetarians and vegans what air is to the rest of humanity."

The quotation above is as stated by Isa Chandra Moskowitz in her book Veganomicon, the Ultimate Vegan Cookbook. In preparation for my wwoofing adventures this summer, I am doing some serious downsizing on the amount of stuff that I own - including, and most difficult of all, books and cookbooks. However, the two cookbooks I use most often, and that are coming with me on the road, are hers: Veganomicon and Vegan with a Vengeance.

I remember as a recent vegetarian freshman in college the first time I tried to make hummus. I don't think I used a recipe because it didn't turn out quite right. In conversing with a friend in Nutrition 101 class about it, he pointed out the problem: I didn't use (or know of, for that matter) tahini. Nowadays, I consider myself a hummus-making expert. I wouldn't say I make it as often as I once did (almost a daily basis in college), but it is a quick, easy staple that is versatile and nutritious! And, as a grazer, it is easy for me to snack on throughout the day.

Here is a meal idea for hummus with dehydrated flax crackers. My dear friend, Brittany, gifted these crunchy crackers to me. She made them herself.

No comments: